Monday, March 3, 2008

Cieslakness


"To build something," eh?

Upon reading the two terrific blog posts regarding our family lineage and meaning, I thought, "Wow, I would love to post an entry further elaborating on our family and it's orgin. Besides, I did do that report on the Cieslak family in like 5th grade."

"I'll just be able to talk along the lines of what Joe and Bryan said..."

Umm - wrong!

I don't know what to tell you - I've got nothing.

What I do have, however, is an observation:

Brian insists that being a Cieslak means doing something with your life. Being in the midst of my junior year of high school, the college search is afoot. Disjointedly making my way through the tons of literature that universities send has been overwhelming enough. My parents and college counselor attempt coerce possible majors and careers out of me and, at this point, I have no idea where I want to go with my life.

"What do I want to do?" I half-seriously ask my friends - as if they would know what I need. I feel as though everything I do is burning more bridges and closing more doors.

I need to find direction. I need to find the wind.

I have an all too familiar feeling that once I find my direction, it will have been right in front of my nose the whole time. The wind was at my back all the while and I had no idea. I was too oblivious to know it was there.

I suppose all I can do is pray and hope that God would let me in on his itinerary for my life. One peek is all I need, God. Pretty please?

All I can say is I hope my Cieslakness, that is to build something, would set in fast, 'cause life is coming and I'm not quite ready yet..

1 comment:

amlyen said...

Don't worry, Calvin. Life comes and we’re never quite ready for it. Life happens when you're making other plans. Try to not set yourself up for the perfect life path, because I'm afraid it rarely works out that way. There will be disappointments and hardships along the way for sure (as I ponder that curtain of imperfection you mention), but the journey is the amazing part. It can be a bumpy ride, but hang on and enjoy! Life is about learning. Anyway, I remember my brother Brian mocking me when I was in my early 20's when I told him I was interested in med school (after a career as a childhood actress). He said (in 3rd person was it?), "oh, when I grow up, I want to be an astronaut, and a fireman, and a doctor, and…” What I think he was trying to lovingly say to me back then is, go for it, because I, too, am thinking of changing career paths from editor to fireman and we'll see how & where this whole thing called life takes us. In short, you can always try new and different things if the first thing you pick doesn’t work out. It’s never too late and you’ll never be ready.

As you look to God to be your ultimate guidance counselor, do the things in life that you enjoy and then roll with the rest while life molds itself around you.